Anaesthesiology is the backbone of surgery. With the advancement of specialties, surgical skill and techniques, anaesthesiology also improved and the Anaesthesia Department at BMH have kept pace with it. The world-class operation theatres at BMH are equipped with cutting-edge technology to administer anaesthesia. The department’s skilled and experienced team of Anaesthetists, with their multi-disciplinary approach, focuses on the safety and comfort of patients undergoing surgical, diagnostic, interventional and endoscopic procedures. The department provides pain management for patients with chronic and disabling pain disorders.
The Operation Theatre Complex at BMH has 16 fully equipped world class OT Suites with stainless steel wall cladding in the interiors, anti-static flooring and laminar airflow air conditioning system with micro filters ensuring zero percentage infection.
Panel of Doctors
Dr. Ramdas is a veteran in Anaesthesiology with more than 35 years of experience. He is an expert capable of handling even the most complicated cases, across multiple specialities.
- MBBS from Karnataka University in the year 1977.
- Internship from Calicut medical college in the year 1978
- DA from Gujarat University in the year 1982
- MD from KMC Manipal, Mangalore University in the year 1991
- DNB (National Board) in the year 1992
- 1982 - 87 Asst. Surgeon Anaesthesia, Kerala govt. service
- 1987 - 91 Tutor Anaesthesia, Kerala Medical college service
- 1991 - 94 Asst. Prof Medical College service, Kerala
- 1994 - 2000: Head Anaesthesiology, National Hospital, Calicut
- 2000 - Present: Head of the department of Anaesthesia and Perioperative medicine, Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut.
- 2001 - 2002: Secretary, Indian Society of Anaesthesiologist, Kerala State
- 2006 - 2009: Chairman, Pain and palliative care society, a WHO demonstration centre, Calicut
- 2010 - 2011: President, Indian Society of Anaesthesiologist, Kerala State
- Faculty at State and National CMEs
- Massive lingual swelling following cleft palat repair : Journal of Anaesthesiology and clinical pharmacology, 2013 April – June 29(2) 262 - 263.
- Anaesthetic management of severe hypertrophic obstetric cardiomyopathy with bronchial asthma for emergency caesarean section: Journal of Indian Medical association Vol, No 10, October 2012 (JIMA)
- Anaesthesia for renal bench surgery: Journal of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology.
- A short profile on Centbucridine BMH medical Journal 2015, 1 (4) 77 - 78
- Post ERCP Pneumothorax;A case report: Anaesthesiology journal Kerala State
- Post operative reperfusion injury: ISA Kerala state journal
- POISE study investigator, Baby memorial Hospital 2002-3
- Anaesthesia History write up in Kerala Anaesthesia journal for two years 2011 - 12, 2012 - 13
Dr. Nandakumara is a Senior Consultant Anaesthetist with 3 decades of experience. His area of special focus is Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- MBBS from Madras Medical College in the year 1975.
- DA from Stanley Medical College Madras in the year 1979.
Worked for 34 years as Consultant.
Dr. Satheesh is a Senior Consultant Anaesthetist with more than 20 years of experience. His areas of special focus include anaesthetic management for Urogenital surgeries, Laparoscopic surgeries, Organ Transplantation, Neurosurgery etc.
- MBBS - Calicut Medical College, 1989
- DA - Calicut Medical College, 1995
- DNB - National Board of Examinations, 1997
- Worked as Tutor in Anaesthesia at Government Medical College, Calicut for one year.
- Worked as Consultant Anaesthesiologist at National Hospital Calicut for three years.
- Working as Consultant Anaesthesiologist at Baby Memorial Hospital for the past 17 years and as DNB teaching faculty for 10 years.
Guide to post graduate research and clinical auditing.
Active member and past Secretary of Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists, Calicut Chapter.
Dr. Saji is a Senior Consultant Anaesthetist with more than 15 years of experience. His areas of special focus include Regional Anaesthesia and Ultra Sound guided vascular cannulation and nerve blocks.
DA from Medical College, Calicut in the year 1995.
- Worked as Lecturer at Government Medical College, Calicut from 1995 to 1997.
- Worked as Junior Consultant at National Hospital, Kozhikode from 1997 to 2000.
- Now working as Senior Consultant at Baby Memorial Hospital since 2000.
Dr. Paul is a Senior Consultant Anaesthetist with 2 decades of experience. His areas of special focus include anaesthetic management for Neuro, Obstetric and Orthopaedic surgeries
- MBBS from Medical College, Calicut in the year 1990.
- MD from Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamilnadu in the year 1997.
Has been a research guide for DNB students for the last 6 years, doing research mainly in Obstetric Anaesthesia.
Dr. Rajesh is a Senior Anesthetist with more than 18 years of experience in dealing high risk cases, across multiple specialities. His fields of special interest is acute & chronic pain management and pediatric anesthesiology. He has many publications to his credit and he is the coordinator of postgraduate academic activities of BMH academy.
- MBBS (University of Calicut)
- DA (University of Calicut)
- MD (University of Calicut)
- MBA in Hospital Management (Annamalai University)
- Fellowship International Medical Sciences Academy (FIMSA)
- Secretary of Indian Society of Anaesthesiologist's Calicut City Branch 2002
- President Indian Society of Anaesthesiologist's Calicut City Branch 2011
- Organising Secretary Infection Control Perspectives in ICU 2009
- Organising Secretary Midterm CME ISA Kerala State 2010
- Organising Chairman AIRCON 2014 (ISA meet on Difficult Airway)
Presented papers at State, South Zone and National conferences of Indian Society of Anaesthesiologists, National Conference on Hospital Administration at Trivandrum, IMA meets and Critical Care Society meets at Calicut City Branch.
- Anaesthesia for children with bronchial asthma and respiratory infections.Indian Journal of Anaesthesia( IJA)-[Pub Med]
- Current Practice of Difficult Airway Management: A Survey.IndianJournal of Anaesthesia( IJA) -[ PubMed]
- Prion body contamination. Is it not relevant in the Indian context?IndianJournal of Anaesthesia( IJA)-[Pub Med]
- Anaesthesia Management of severe Hypertrophic Obstructive Cadiomyopathy with Bronchial Asthma for Emergency Caesarean Section.(JIMA)-[Pub Med]
- Massive lingual swelling following palatoplasty. Journal of Anaesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology[JOACP]- [Pub Med]
- Anaesthesia for Bench surgery. Anaesthesia essays and researches-[PubMed]
- Anaesthesia for endoscopic third ventriculostomy in children -Anaesthesia essays and researches-[Pub Med]
- Pain management in PolytraumaPatients.Journal of evidence basedmedicine and health care-[Index Copernicus]
- Stellate ganglion block as rescue therapy in refractory Ventricular tachycardia. Anaesthesia essays and researches-[Pub Med]
- A short profile on Centbucridine-BMH Journal.[Google Scholar]
- Safely navigating patients with HOCM during anaesthesia. -BMHJournal.[Google Scholar].
- Post Operative Cognitive Dysfunction in elderly- BMH Journal.[Google Scholar]
- Current Thinking In PediatricPeri-operative Fluid Therapy-BMH Journal[Google Scholar]
ISA Kerala State Journal.
- Anaesthesia for Paediatric laparoscopic surgery. July 2011
- Basic anaesthetic principles in facial cosmetic surgery.Feb2014
- Perioperative fluid management in Paediatric patients. Jan 2016.
- Post ERCP Pneumothorax. A Case report.June 2014.
- Post operative reperfusion injury. Case report. July 2015.
- KOPS award for national best paper presentation at Indian society of Anaesthesiologists national conference Kolkata 2005.
- Delivered Dr Albert Kallat Oration instituted by IMA Tellicherry branch 2007.
Dr. Rijil is a senior consultant Anaesthesiologist with 18 years of experience from premier institutions in India and overseas. He has special training in Cardiac Anaesthesia training from SCT, Trivandrum.
- MBBS - Calicut Medical College, Calicut University, 1986-1992.
- DA (Diploma In Anaesthesia) - Calicut Medical College, 1995-1997.
- MD (Anaesthesiology) - Calicut Medical College Calicut University, 1995-1998.
- PDCC (Post-Doctoral Certificate In Cardiac And Nuero Anaesthesiology) - Sreechitra Tirunal Institute Of Medical Science And Technology, 1999-2000.
- French Diploma In Regional Anaesthesia From Montpellier University, 2015.
- Specialist Anaesthesiologist - Hamad General Hospital under Hamad Medical Corporation (4 years).
- Consultant Anaesthesiologist - Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut (12 years).
- Senior Resident - Sreechitra InstituteofMedical Science and Technology, Trivandrum.
- Indian Medical Association.
- Indian Society of Anaesthesiologist.
Dr. Mini is a Senior Consultant Anaesthetist with more than 15 years of experience. Her areas of special focus include anaesthetic management for Obstetric, Arthroscopy & Laparoscopic Surgeries, Pain & Palliative Care etc.
- MBBS from Medical College, Kottayam from 1988 to 1995.
- Diploma in Anaesthesiology from Medical College, Kottayam from 1999 to 2001.
- Worked at Samaritan Hospital, Ernakulam from 2001 to 2004.
- Worked as Anaesthetist at Lakshmi Hospital, Perumbavoor and as Assistant Surgeon at Government Hospital, Kadayirippu from 2005 to 2011.
- Worked at ASTER Al Raffah Hospital, Sohar, Oman from 2011 to 2012.
- Now working as Senior Consultant at Baby Memorial Hospital since 2012.
Conference and CME during Academic course at Medical College, Kottayam
Dr. Jiny is a consultant Anesthetist with more than 10 years of experience. Her areas of special focus include Ultrasound guided nerve blocks and vascular access, Paediatric Anaesthesia and Airway management.
- MBBS from Medical College, Calicut
- DA from Medical College, Trivandrum from 2004 to 2006.
- DNB from Baby Memorial Hospital from 2007 to 2010.
- Certificate course (IAPC) in Essentials of Palliative Care.
- Medical Officer at Lisa Hospital, Thiruvambady from 2003 to 2004.
- Resident at Medical College, Trivandrum from 2004 to 2006.
- Senior Resident at Baby Memorial Hospital from 2007 to 2010.
- Consultant at Baby Memorial Hospital since 2010.
- Invited faculty, Ultrasound guided vascular access and Regional Anaesthesia, conducted by Sonosteth Insight, BMH.
- Invited faculty, Ultrasound guided vascular access, Kerala State IMA Meet, Nilambur – November 2015.
- Organising Chairman, Baby Memorial Anaesthesia Refresher Course (BARC) – February 2015.
- Secretary, Indian Society of Anaesthesiology – Calicut City Branch – 2013-2015.
Dr. Deepa is an Anaesthetist with special focus in pain & palliative, Paediatric Anaesthesia, Transplant Anaesthesia and critical care.
- MBBS – Government Medical College, Calicut (1998)
- Diploma in Anaesthesiology – Government Medical College, Thiruvanthapuram (2004)
- DNB (Anaesthesiology) – National Board of Examinations (2014)
- Lecturer - Government Medical College, Thrissur (2009- 2012)
- Jr. Cardiac Anaesthesia Consultant at EMS Hospital, Perinthalmanna (2007-2008)
- Assistant surgeon - CHC, Pazhanji (2005-2006)
- Junior RMO (Psychiatry) - Ansar Hospital, Thrissur (2001-2002)
- RMO – Kalyan Nursing Home, Chennai (2000)
Stellate ganglion block as a rescue therapy for refractory VT-Anaesthesia essays & researches(Pub Med)
Awarded the best outgoing student of Anaesthesiology – Dr. Murali Memorial Award, gold Medalist, 2014, Trivandrum Medical College.
Dr. Bini is an Anesthetist with more than 7 years of experience in dealing cases, across multiple specialities.
- MBBS for Medical College Hospital, Calicut in the year 2004
- DA from Medical College Hospital, Calicut in the year 2009
- DNB in Anaesthesia from Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut in the year 2013.
- Senior Resident in Anaesthesia at Medical College Hospital, Calicut from August 2009 to August 2010.
- Junior Consultant at Baby Memorial Hospital, Calicut from January 2013 to till date.
Dr. Jithin is an Anaesthetist with special interest in Paediatric Anaesthesia
- MBBS from Co-operative Medical College, Kochi in the year 2009 and CRRI completion in the year 2010.
- MD from Government Medical College, Thanjavur in the year 2014.
Joined as Junior Consultant at Baby Memorial Hospital in the year 2014.
Had published an article in Tamilnadu MGR Universities E-journal, ‘med-ej’:- ‘An interesting case of Bronchoplural Fistula (iatrogenic) and its management.
Was the Organising Secretary of BARC-2016 (BMH Anaesthesiology Refresher Course) conducted in February 2016.
Dr. Lima is an Anaesthetist with special focus in Paediatric Anaesthesia, Obstetric Anaesthesia, Ultrasound guided nerve blocks and vascular access.
- MBBS from Government Medical College, Calicut in the year 2003.
- DNB from Baby Memorial Hospital in the year 2010.
- Worked as Resident Medical Officer at Baby Memorial Hospital from 2004 to 2005.
- Now working as Junior Consultant at Baby Memorial Hospital.
A Randomised Double Blinded study – Sublingual Ketamine as a Pre-emptive Analgesic in Hysterectomy patients undergoing General Anaesthesia.
- Journal of the Indian Medical Association - October 2012
- Anaesthetic Management of Severe Hypertrophic obstructive Cardiomyopathy with Bronchial Asthma for Emergency Caesarean section
Certificate course in Essentials of Palliative Care - January 2015.
Services & Facilities
- Datex Ohmeda and Dragger workstations with vaporizers
- Anaesthesia ventilators
- Pulse oxymeters
- Cardiographs Cardio scopes with defibrillators
- Carm image intensifiers
- Neuromuscular monitors (TOF)
- Syringe pumps
- Infusion pumps
- Blood warmers
- ABG analysers
- Fibre optic bronchoscopes
- Surgical Procedures
- Medical and Diagnostic Procedures
- Neurointerventional Procedures
- Radiological Procedures
- Endoscopy Procedures
- Ultrasound for interventional procedures